Almost everyone tends to care about their face, regularly exfoliating, moisturizing, applying face mask and creams but they forget to care about the other parts of the skin. This is the time to give your attention and you can do it through dry brushing. It is good for glowing skin and also helps to remove cellulite from the body by boosting oxygen into the blood. Dry brushing for cellulite is the great way to get rid of it with other benefits for the skin. So, let’s see what is dry brushing.
Dry brushing is brushing the skin in a particular pattern with a dry brush which helps to diminish the appearance of cellulite, aids in removing toxins from the body and promote toned and supple skin. This process of dry brushing is done before showering.
Our skin is the largest organ and to help our beautiful skin, there is one simple step we can add to our morning routine that can greatly improve the health of skin – “the dry brushing.”
The benefits of dry skin brushing go beyond skin deep, offering whole-body benefits to your health. Let’s see how dry brushing works for skin?
Cellulite is the appearance of cottage cheese skin predominantly seen on the legs, butt, stomach, and back of the arms. Everyone hates it. It’s just normal fat beneath our skin. It looks lumpy because it pushes against connective tissue, causing the skin above it to pucker. That’s why we can have it whether we are heavy or thin.
Dry brushing helps stimulate the cells and break down toxins from beneath the skin. It does increase the blood circulation which helps the extra fat to flush out from skin which is the major reason for having cellulite. Blood circulation also helps other organs release toxins, but our skin does not have that additional boost to help rid of toxins itself, so dry brushing is necessary to get rid of those toxins and bad fats inside our body.
When we are young, dry brushing doesn’t necessary because the skin automatically renews itself but when we are in our late 20s or after 30s, it becomes necessary to exfoliate our skin to get new skin cells. Dry brushing helps to exfoliate dead skin cells and unclogs the blocked pores. Clogged pores can lead to ingrown hairs and acne, which is why dry brushing is needed.
To detox skin, dry brushing is similar to massage. The light pressure against the skin and the direction in which we brush, it helps to move lymph fluid into the lymph nodes so that the waste can be eliminated from our body. Our body naturally detoxes the skin, but dry brushing speeds up the process and at the same time boost circulation, delivering oxygenated blood to the skin and other organs, which helps them do their jobs better.
Lymph is a fluid in our circulatory system and it has white blood cells, so lymph also affects our immune system. It picks up bacteria, toxins, and other waste from our blood and filters it through the lymph nodes, where the bacteria are destroyed. Poor blood circulation means the lymph is not doing its job properly which results in cellulite, varicose veins, and a weakened immune system. Dry brushing improves the lymph flow.
There are a few steps that are needed to dry brush correctly.
1. Purchase a natural bristle (not synthetic or plastic) brush with a long handle so that you can reach all areas of your body. You can go department stores, health food stores, and beauty stores all stock them, or you can purchase one online.
2. Spend about 5-10 minutes on dry brushing, and do it two to five times a week, preferably before bathing. Do not wet the skin. Dry brush your skin while it is dry.
3. Use your fingers to gently massage the areas where the primary lymph ducts are found. The ducts are to the left and right of your groin area and just below your collarbone. Spend only a few seconds on this portion of the massage. This helps open the ducts.
4. Start working on your feet, using gentle, circular, upward motions toward your heart from the tips of your toes, including the tops of your feet, your soles and moving upward, first one side and then the other.
5. Brush each area including waist and chest, several times and overlapping as you go to ensure that you do not miss a spot. Be careful over the more sensitive areas, such as the breasts and avoid the nipple area. It may feel more sensitive the first few times, but your skin will become less sensitive with consistent dry brushing.
6. Do your arms, neck and as much of your back as you can get to.
7. Once you’ve brushed your entire body, step into the shower and bathe as you normally would. After you have showered, pat your skin dry and apply a natural oil like rose hip, olive or coconut oil to your entire body.
If you really want to get rid of cellulite from your life then following tips you should consider in your life seriously including dry brushing remedy.
1. Move or exercise: Start moving your body or find a hobby or activity that requires lots of movement. The more you get up out of that chair and move, the better blood flow you will have and the quicker the cellulite will go away. Do some light exercise or running at least 2-3 times in a week to get bad fats out from your body.
2. Oil Massage and scrub: Give a coconut oil massage to the targeted area to boost up the blood on the affected area. Mix 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of carrot seed oil and 2 drops of grapefruit essential oil and 1 drop of cinnamon oil. Mix well and massage your body 3-4 times in a week. Grapefruit essential oil is photosensitive in nature, so make sure you are not going outside in sun after this massage. You can also do coffee scrub to get a great result in getting rid of cellulite.
3. Drink water: Circulation and hydration work together. By drinking more water, you’ll be naturally improving blood flow, increasing skin quality, and helping the metabolism. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day.
4. Eliminate Sugar and Eat More Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Sugar is one of the primary reason that causes cellulite. It accumulates fats inside our body, poor blood circulation, and poor immune system. Avoid sugars and eat more foods containing omega-3 fatty acids. Include flaxseed oil, fish like salmon, walnuts etc in your diet to boost oxygen in your blood and get rid of unwanted cellulite.